Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Jameson's Birth Story

It was early Thursday morning, August 22nd, 2013, when I woke at 3:30 and thought I peed my pants.  I rushed to the bathroom, sat down, and a fairly large gush of water/pee came and at that point I thought it was very odd I wasn’t able to hold my bladder.  I thought maybe the little guy just stepped perfect on my bladder and I didn’t have a choice.  But I also thought what if it was my water breaking.  I was 8 days early but didn’t have any contractions.  Of course I googled what it felt like when your water breaks and I fit the symptoms.  The biggest clue was that water kept leaking out even after I would use the restroom.  So we called the hospital and they told me to come in right away…yeah right.  I also texted our doula and good friend, and she said to wait if I felt comfortable and to try and get some rest.  I layed down but of course I didn’t sleep. 

Come morning, contractions were still not happening.  I eventually went for a walk around 8 am and then gave myself an acupuncture treatment around 10 am.  During my treatment I started to get some contractions going!  We had called everyone at this point and Sherry/Grandma was on her way to watch big brother Parker.  Around 12:30 pm my contractions were becoming very frequent, about every 3-4 minutes apart and we figured we better get on our way to the hospital.  We ended up dropping Parker off at daycare since Grandma was still about 30 minutes away.  When we got to the hospital contractions had slowed down to about every 10 minutes.  Patrick and I walked the hospital ground for over an hour to try and get them started again. Around 1:30 we eventually decided to check in to the hospital and they were floored when I told them my water broke early in the morning. 

I don’t think we finally got into our room until around 4-ish and by then contractions were definitely getting more intense.  Nana and Pops showed up around that time as well in anticipation to meet our little boy.  Once all the papers were finally signed and IV’s were in place, I decided to walk the halls a bit to get things going. After a few rounds, I decided to go back to the room and resort to the shower.  I got in the shower and stayed in there for the next almost 2 hours.  Contractions were super intense at this point, almost unbearable.  Our doula suggested that as long as I was comfortable, to stay in there until I started getting the urge to push.  She was afraid they would make me get in bed if I came out. 

Finally the urge to push started.  I got out, got on the bed, and they checked my dilation.  At that point I think they said I was 9 centimeters but so close.  I made it through a few more contractions and the urge to push was getting so strong.  Of course the doctor wasn’t there so they had me lay on my side and for the next few contractions they held my legs together and encouraged me not to push and to breathe.  I said bullsh**.  I really didn’t listen but I did try and relax as much as possible to avoid any tears.  Our little boys head was about half out when the doctor finally showed up.  All I remember was Patrick saying he had a head full of hair just like Parker.  I waited for the next contractions and after about two good pushes he was out.  What a sense of relief!  Daddy was crying, I was crying, and Jameson came out crying and ready to eat!  He was so beautiful!  Daddy cut the cord and the nurses quickly laid him on my chest. 

After everything was cleaned up, Nana, Pops, Aunt Kimmy, Grandma, and Big Brother Parker came in to meet Jameson!  Parker was a little taken back by the whole situation and didn’t want to touch him quite yet but he eventually warmed up the next day.  Patrick and I finally picked his name on Friday…we love you Jameson Joseph Hebert.

No comments:

Post a Comment